Monday, February 1, 2010

Why is it the things that we love most often take a back seat to those things we have to do? I love writing. Always have. I take great pride in people commenting on how funny my posts are on facebook. Now that I am working a 40 hour week, and doing everything else every other working mom in the world does my writing is taking a back seat. Why? Why do women take care of everyone and everything first? For all you working moms- or stay at home moms that are the go to moms for everything volunteer oriented or extended family oriented - when was the last time you did something you loved for the sake of loving it alone? I don't mean taking a bath so that you can scrub the tub afterward. Or take a hike so you can get a cardio workout out of it. I am talking about taking a hike with your camera and taking pictures or just smelling the flowers and sitting down to enjoy the breeze and views. To those of you who do- you go girl! You, my friend, in the long run will be much better off. My problem is that I do those things on occasion but I have the terrible habit of not being in the moment. I am making another list of to-dos for later, or thinking who needs what later.

Right now I am just going to write in the moment. Today, I found out something about myself. I am a sales person. I am more competitive then I thought. I like to crack a hard shell. I like it that I am good at relating to people and then showing them why my 'product' will benefit them. I thought I was an HR person, or Community Relations person. I am but I am also good at selling. How cool is it at 48 years old to find something you are good at that is a complete surprise. This past week I had a contract signed that apparently had been previously presented and worked on by the upper level managers with no success. I was told by a co-worker that I could not do it. Last week they signed. Some coworkers don't even know yet as the joy to me is getting it done, not what people think because I got it done. I am just happy with myself and that is enough. At least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment